Friday, March 4, 2011

Ignorance is not bliss

I do not understand how some people can be so ignorant. I was watching some videos on youtube, and decided to read some of the comments. Wow. People are so misinformed about so much that goes on. It's really really sad.

The comments on the one video about bipolar really upset me. One person in particular. The reply to a 16 yr old who had simply expressed their feelings, wondering if they were bipolar, was unreal. The person said to this young one, and I quote:
"You probably have a demon.Medication can only supress some of the symptoms,but the underline cause is demonic.You don't want to be drugged up on meds for the rest of your life,(which can also lead to suicide),because you'll never really be free.To be truly set free from this demonic oppression,turn away from all sin and call on Jesus Christ to save you.After turning to Jesus,you need to pray against generational curses and cast out the spirit of bipolar disorder in Jesus Christ's name."

Um, ok?? Wow. I find that comment interesting (and purely stupid), because of several reasons. First, I don't understand how an ILLNESS, caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, can mean that a person has a demon. Second, nowhere in the Bible does it say ANYthing like that. Third, generational curses? The spirit of bipolar disorder? This person is clearly whacked.

Now, don't get me wrong. I believe very much so in the Bible. And I've studied it intensely. And I am aware of the fact that yes, a person can become possessed by and/or influenced by a demon. BUT it is spiritism and spiritistic practices that causes that to happen, because in such practices (Ouija board, tarot cards, inquiring of the dead, etc) you are contacting, and thus inviting, the demons into your life and possibly into your mind.

But, come on. A mental illness/disorder meaning you have a demon? It's as stupid as the belief held back in the day that bleeding a person out would clear them of their sickness. As I discussed in my first blog post, there is evidence and research to support the fact that it is a medical condition that we have no control over. It just happens, because of physical and environmental factors. It has nothing to do with one's religious beliefs whatsoever.

I wish people would read up and inform themselves of a topic before spreading false, misleading or inaccurate information. Some people are so self-righteous and just like to hear themselves talk. It makes me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment