Friday, July 8, 2011

Doctors can be so useless

I am really starting to think that doctors in general are just useless. Sure, they can help for the little things. But God forbid you have an issue they can't figure out. Then, they start throwing pills at you. Take this. Oh, that didn't work? Here, try this one. I am tired of this! It is bad enough that I am already taking enough pills for bipolar, thyroid, PCOS, and my back injury. I don't need a doctor giving me random pills on the off chance they might work. How about doing some tests? Having a headache for a month straight can't be normal. I told her I hit my hear really hard a few months ago. That didn't seem to matter to her. If it was me, I'd have done an MRI or x-ray by now. But, no.

First her brilliant idea is for me to stop taking all pain medications for a week. No ibuprofen, aspirin, sudafed, pain killers, nothing. Which by the way, did not make my headache go away, and it made me feel unnecessary suffering with my back for a week, which made me absolutely miserable.

So then she gives me a different kind of muscle relaxers than I usually take for my back. Supposedly this other kind helps with headaches caused by muscles. Ok. So, I tried it. Took it at night like she told me to, for a few days. But i had to stop taking it. When I woke up in the morning, I felt like I had a terrible hangover. It was really not fun.

So then at the beginning of this week, she puts me on an anti depressant. For my headache. Um, ok...? At which point I started wondering how smart that is. Hey, let's give this girl, who is bipolar, and is on a mood stabilizer and an anti depressant already, another anti depressant to see if her headache goes away. I don't understand this reasoning at all. And when I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, I asked the pharmacist if taking a second anti depressant will mess with me or the fact that I am already on one, etc. And, without looking at any of my information, he says "no, it shouldn't." Oh, thank you so much for making me feel so safe coming to you for advice on my medications.

So, I call my primary physician this afternoon, to tell her that her wonderful plan of putting me on a second anti depressant has yet to work, and that I am fed up with being in all of this pain. Her answer? I almost couldn't believe it while I heard it. Basically, according to her, she has given me all the medications she can think of to get rid of my headache. So, if I want, she can set me up with a neurologist which may take weeks or months to get into, or I can go to the emergency room and see if they can give me something. Ok, now I have to decide to either wait forever to see a different doctor, or go to the emergency room. And what makes it even better, is that my deductible for hospital / ER visits isn't cheap. What the hell. I guess I have no choice. Ibuprofen, aspirin, Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen, muscle relaxers, heat, ice, sudafed, drinking more water... argh! nothing has helped at all.

So, what the hell?! Has the medical world gone freakin nuts? Or is it just me? I am still debating on what to do. I should probably just go to the ER. I have had enough of this headache. Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment